Special to The Ely Times

One hundred forty years after the first Flag Day on June 14, 1917, the citizens of White Pine County erected the flag pole on the crest of a hill directly West of Aultman Street. June 14, 2015, Ninety eight years later, the City of Ely rededicated this flag pole to the citizens of White Pine County.

Mayor Melody Van Camp welcomed the crowd to the re-dedication at noon. Girl Scout Troop 1349 gave a patriotic reading about the flag and its importance to the American people. Ken Curto, representing the American Legion and V.F.W. gave a presentation on the history of Flag Day.

The crowd watched as the flag, measuring 8 feet by 17 feet, was raised for the first time on the new pole. As the wind caught the flag, the stars and stripes could be seen as the flag unfurled and stood out to fly majestically above the City of Ely. The crowd proudly said the Pledge of Allegiance and then sang “God Bless America” and “The Grand ‘Ole Flag” with music provided by Cal Henley and Bill Wilson of the Hometown Backers Band.

The crowd cheered at the re-dedication and the sight of the flag once again flying high above Aultman Street. The City Council should be applauded for their efforts in restoring the flag that once flew over the City.

Veterans and girls scouts stand together with Mayor Melody Van Camp during the Aultman Flag dedication ceremony.

Veterans and girls scouts stand together with Mayor Melody Van Camp during the Aultman Flag dedication ceremony.