Since the mid sixties, police officers were asking repeatedly for a Public Safety building, and in 1976 they got what they asked for. Sheriff Archie Robinson had been saying for years that the old Sheriff’s office in the old courthouse which was built in 1908 was no longer secure. It was so bad, that Seventh District Court Judge, Merlyn Hoyt would no longer sentence women to serve in the old jail and described the conditions as “abominable”. The Federal Law Enforcement Assistance Administration came through with a $360,000 grant for the new building and the county put up about $300,000. The city which shares the building did work on the water and sewer systems.