By Mary Sorenson
After big Silver pockets were found on Treasure Hill, miners flooded to the area settling several towns.
Monte Cristo was one of the first camps in the White Pine District, having been organized in the fall of 1865. The Monte Cristo Mining Company controlled major mining claims in the district
Treasure City was just south of Hamilton, located at the 9,000 foot level on Treasure Hill. Treasure City was the first business center of the White Pine Mining District in 1867. Within one year of the discovery of the Hidden Treasure Mine in 1867, 6,000 people settled in Treasure City, the Eberhardt mine produced $3,000,000 from a single hole and the town had more than 40 stores, about a dozen saloons, impressive Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges, and its own stock exchange.
Hamilton started out as Cave City in 1868. It was later changed to Hamilton after one of W. H. Hamilton the original promotors of the town. In 1869, the town saw up to 30,000 people coming to seek their fortunes. There were close to 100 saloons, several breweries, 60 general stores, and numerous other businesses. There were also theaters, dance halls, skating rinks, a Miners’ Union Hall, and a fraternal order located in the thriving community. Close to 200 mining companies were also operating in the area. Hamilton was the first county seat of White Pine County, but due to the mines petering out and the fire at the Court House and all the records in 1885, the seat was moved to Ely.
Shermantown was 5 miles southwest of Hamilton. First called Silver Springs and later named for General William Tecumseh Sherman in 1869, it was the mill town for the White Pine Mining District. The town had eight mills with 69 stamps, four furnaces and two sawmill. This town had adequate water and timber to build stamp mills so it became the center for processing ore in the district. Shermantown was incorporated on March 27, 1869.
Eberhardt, Nevada is located 5 miles southeast of Hamilton, NV. Named for the fabulous glory hole mine on Treasure Hill, it started up around the Stanford Mill in Applegarth Canyon. Eberhardt eventually gained 200 citizens, a post office, saloons, carpenter shop, wagon shop, blacksmith, and stores.
This information has been gathered by Sorenson through sources such as Russell Elliott early history of White Pine County, Ghost towns of White Pine County, White Pine News, Nevada Adventures, Internment.com and Wikipedia.com